Sunday, March 23, 2008

Opening Day contingencies ..

We're making plans in the newsroom for our Opening Day coverage, and I've got to admit it's a whole lot of praying for good weather.

Since the game airs on 3 p.m. on WKYC, we're planning a fairly lengthy pre-game special based on the game starting on time. We learned our lesson last year when the home opener was delayed by snow and eventually canceled. My role is to put together a feature story on a 21-year-old U of Akron student who is now living the dream as one of the tribe's stadium broadcasters.

The problem we fear is that if Mother Nature decides to delay the first pitch again, we broadcast folks have to think of some way to kill time. If it's 10 minutes, no biggie. If it's a two-hour delay, then ohhhhhhhhhhh boy.

There's only so many times we can interview fans in the stands or toss to Jim Donovan to tap dance about the team.

I still have to finish editing my contribution to the pre-game show ... along with continued reporting on other stories ... so the pressure will mount each day as the week goes on. Still, I realize it's a good gig to have .. so I'm not complaining. I'd just feel better about our plan if I knew it would be 50 degrees outside and partly sunny instead of watching the skies and hoping we're not making snowmen outside the Tribe's dugouts again.

3 comments:

Ben said...

Eric, do you know the logic behind starting the game at 3PM instead of 1 or 12:05 like a normal day game? Does it have to do with traffic from those working downtown or what?

Unknown said...

Eric, I think that if you take in what's happened during the last few opening days, I think your contingency plan would actually cover "Oh crap! The game's actually starting on time!" vs. it being delayed...

Eric Mansfield said...

Ben, not sure if traffic is a factor, but yeah I'm sure they didn't pull out "3 p.m." for nothing. I wonder if the game beign beamed back to Chicago (Central Time) had anything to do with it ..

Tony, yeah ... we always have to prepare for the worst and hope for the best .. the fun part is knowing which is which :)