Monday, January 7, 2008

Now THAT'S prose!

In doing research on a story involving local teen drug abuse, I queried a certain school's name on myspace.com and stumbled across a page that really caught my eye. As a journalist, I have an appreciation for good writing .. and a young woman's emotional rant was really something to behold.

Rather than steal this woman's poetic thunder, I'll just let you read her thoughts with the precursor of WOW! Has this woman been scorned, but I love how she's crafted her emotional release ... read on.


"To several boys who I generally don't care about:

"Here's what I've decided: you are a tiny, minor character in my life. You aren't even important enough to get a guest star spot. You are the quirky neighbor who appears when it's convenient to the plot, and then disappears for weeks on end.

"You are the relationship at the beginning of a romantic comedy that sets the main character up for the real deal. You are a precursor, a footnote, the subplot, the backstory. You are the one that audiences love to hate, or possibly don't think about at all.

"You're here for character development. You're around so that I know more about me. You are stupid and tiny and I only think about you for long enough to be disgusted with you. You're the guy who gets written out in the second episode, falls down an elevator shaft, gets hit by a train, moves to California to pursue a career in acting.

"You're the guy who is off-screen, but gets mentioned every once in a while so that audiences believe in his existence. You're the guy who the main character talks about with melancholy looks on her face, but who we never meet except maybe in flashbacks.

"You have no lines. You don't even get any close ups. You are like scenery."


Like I said, Wow ... EM

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is amazing! I love her insight and her take on relationships. I wish I could have figured that out at about 16 or so. Don't know where you found it, but it's priceless.

CJ