Thursday, December 6, 2007

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

Akron's School Board members are in a tough spot when it comes to school uniforms .. but I think best advice here is for them to remember what they expect of their students in class every day.

Teachers repeatedly tell their students "don't just give me an answer, show me your work." It doesn't matter whether it's Math, Science, etc .... educators expect students to validate how they came up with their answer.

Board members need to do the same.

They need to be willing to validate their homework when the vote Monday on the district's uniform policy, which would mandate specific dress for the Akron's 45+ elementary and middle schools.

Miller South parents and their 700+ students (most of them it seems anyway) want to be the exception to the rule as evidence by their massive demonstration outside the school this afternoon. They don't want the change .. not because they think they're special, but because creative dress has been part of the school's success for many years .. and the proof is in the results.

Excellence in academic scores.
Excellence in attendance.
Excellence in parental involvement.
Few discipline problems.

That kind of success doesn't happen by accident. It happens because the right climate is created to set these kids up for success. Heck, this school draws students from more than 20 zip codes, and its performance groups are traveling to Europe, among other places, to perform.

While uniformity might create a better learning environment in a vast number of schools, it flies in the face of the special school Akron leaders envisioned and have since created at Miller South.

You can't invite students to be part of the "most unique program in Summit County" and then create a policy that restricts their creativity.

In the spirit of full disclosure .. my kids attend Miller South so I have a vested interest here ... and to be honest, my boys have had a great experience from the moment they auditioned.

As a graduate of the Akron Schools, I'm all for the dress code city-wide .. I really am. But in this case, Miller South's proven results justify its request to be the exception to the rule when it comes to school uniforms.

Board members need to listen to the Miller South community before casting their votes .. and they need to hold themselves just as accountable as they do the students by showing their work here.

Don't just cite national studies and local surveys for your reasons for making a blanket policy. Show these hundreds of parents and students that you honestly considered their argument and visited their school before telling them that you know better -- whatever your decision might be.

It's not fair to ask students to show their work .. if you're not willing to show yours.

7 comments:

laurac19 said...

That's an excellent argument... I hope someone from the Board gets to read your post (I'm personally not from the Akron area) so that they see it this way... Great job, Eric!

Anonymous said...

I live near both Portage Path and Miller south. The principle of Portage Path used to sit on my porch to help me stop the fights over nike shoes and starter jackets. Are uniforms really the answer?? My children attend private schools and we have arguements over shoes and coats.I believe it is never ending. Children will always find a reason to pick on or fight another child.

Village Green said...

What disturbs me the most is that decisions are being made without any scientific basis. Read the work of sociologist Dr David Brunsma on school uniforms. He describes all the studies done so far and there is no positive correlation between uniforms in schools and any of the so-called benefits of uniforms. People are making decisions using anecdotal evidence. They think it is common sense that uniforms will improve behavior, achievement, bullying and so on. But really, uniforms are being used as a cheap way to cover up the real problems that continue to go unsolved. Problems like poverty, unstable family life, and the various toxic poisons found in aging homes where the poor live and raise their children.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Eric, but I have to agree with Edward Esposito's editorial on the www.akronnewsnow site. Miller South, just like the APS elementary school my kids go to, is still an APS school. For Miller to ask for special exemption based on the uniqueness of their student body is ridiculous. There are other schools in the APS that are ranked as "excellent" and you don't see them out protesting. As Esposito pointed out Firestone's theater, dance and IB students certainly could say that they are also unique. They seem to be able to see the bigger picture. While I can afford to send my kids to school without holes in their clothes or pants that are too big, there are others who cannot. For teachers who have to stop their classes and discipline based on dress code violations, this disrupts their teaching time and causes distractions for students.

While I enjoy buying nice clothes for my children, I can appreciate that not everyone has the same luxury and they should not be singled out for it. Miller is an APS school and allowing a special exemption for this school only reinforces the elitist attitude that Miller kids are better or more special than everyone else's kids that attend APS. Now is that the message you really want to send to the children of Akron?

Anonymous said...

I agree with anonymous. Whether or not we go to uniforms doesn't particularly matter to me. I will support my school board's decision over what they think is right for the student body of the AKron schools. After all we are the ones who elected them and gave them our voice.

However, what I will not support, is the idea that Miller South should get special treatment and be exempt from uniforms. Either we all go to uniforms or we don't, and if the vote doesn't go your way, be the big enough person to get over it and move on!

Eric Mansfield said...

All,
These are good comments ... both for and against.
If you hadn't heard, the board voted 5-2 in favor or the uniform policy tonight, which will take effect in the fall for all schools including Miller South.
For those taking me to task, I'll ask that you again read my posting to include "As a graduate of the Akron Schools, I'm all for the dress code city-wide .. I really am" and take that for what it is.
I really do think it's a good thing.
The point of my blog posting, to which one board member took the time to tell me that he agreed with, was that if the board is going to make a sweeping decision that affects nearly 20K students, then they need to show parents that they've done their work and making an informed decision.
There's more to come in a later blog (I have to be on the air in a few minutes) .. but the "elitist" impression the school might be casting in this argument isn't a good one. If you honestly feel that coming from the folks at MS, then I'm glad it was brought to light. Intentional or not, it's not good for the school or the district.
I do think the kids at MS will complain and move on .. and this will be a mute point 12 months from now.
More than anything .. I'm just doing my job as a journalist and parent to hold elected leaders accountable by saying "show me your work."
The vote is done .. the district moves forward.
Thanks again for the posts .. keep em coming .. Eric

Eric Mansfield said...

By the way, "mute" is intentional (I know how to spell the real word folks) .. as a play on words since the kids won't be yelling about it in a year. So don't go calling Mrs. Poulus, my junion high English teacher, telling me that I'm a failure :)

Eric