Monday, November 12, 2007

Thanks for watching

Thanks to all who took the time to watch my first documentary, "Reporting the War -- The Journalists' Perspective" last night on PBS 45/49. I appreciate the emails that are already coming in this morning with constructive feedback.

PBS Executive Producer Dulio Mariola really did a great job of editing the long-format program and getting it done in time for air. He literally finished late Friday night.

I was quite pleased with the flow of the interview subjects. They each spoke from the heart and shared honest assessments of their craft as reporters. I was particularly pleased with the segment that featured Leon Bibb and Larry Baker as they visited the the Wall 25 years ago.

I wish I'd had more time to interview a few others outside of the media to get their opinion. I would like to have spoken with a military family that was forced to interact with local reporters to talk about the experience. Was the media courteous and respectful? Did they interfere with your homecoming experience? Did you notice them at the funeral? Was the story they told or wrote accurate and relevant?

Unfortunately, the time Dulio and I had was limited, so we couldn't get everything we wanted .. still, the interviews we did get came together nicely.

I can nit-pick the special to death because I hold myself and my writing to a higher standard. I'll take the experience and learn from it .. and look for a new project for the spring .. (I need to finish my first experience on the live stage before anything new ... more to come on that topic this week.)

My thanks to Dulio, his wife, Barb, the interview subjects, and the folks at PBS 45/49 for supporting this idea. If you missed the special, I'm sure it will be loaded on the 45/49 website in the coming days.

2 comments:

Frumpy Curmudgeon said...

Eric,

Just watched it on the DVR - awesome job. The best part was interweaving the thoughts of Larry Baker and Leon Bibb with clips from the story they did about the Vietnam Memorial Wall when it opened. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Great job on this show. I was particularly struck by how much the veteran/reporters related to the current veterans/troops.