Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 death toll still defies the numbers

I'm watching some of MSNBC's replay of the 9-11 tragedy .. and the one thing that keeps racing through my mind is that I thought -- on that day and the week after -- that the body count would be much higher.

Seeing those towers come down .. and seeing the wide-spread damage .. plus the early reports that on any given day you can find 50,000 people in the Twin Towers.

Am I the only one that thought we'd have 10 or 20,000 dead?

Having since been to Ground Zero, I try to picture the chaos that day .. and how many strangers were coming to the aid of one another.

Certainly, the thousands we lost is beyond words, but I'm still amazed that the loss of life wasn't higher that day.

Am I the only one?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

No, I had the exact same thought, 50,000 dead, while watching the TV coverage of the towers falling. At least that didn't happen.

I still get that same feeling when I see the towers in old film of a TV show or movie. I guess the feeling will never go away.