Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Voyeur employee scarey at the U of A

A former employee of the U of Akron has been indicted for allegedly hiding a camera in the shower of a female dormitory and breaking in to women's apartments to steal their personal photos. He also allegedly was trying to blackmail one of the victims via email.

28-year-old Shaun Harkness actually left the campus more than a year ago to take a similar job at Northern Illinois University. When police here at the U of A heard what Harkness may have done a few years ago, they called the folks in Illinois who got a search warrant for Harkness' apartment and computer. That's where the shower videos and other items from Akron were located.

It's scary because this wasn't a janitor or some stranger who entered the womens dorms. This was someone paid to be there. Someone on the RA staff.

At a time when the U of A is putting its best kangaroo hop forward to land more students to live on campus ... usually with the lure of new high-tech dorms and apartments ... the last thing they needed was news that someone's been watching over co-eds instead of doing his part to make their college experience worth while.

6 comments:

Liz said...

Eric,

You do realize, don't you, that Harkness is not some flunky undergraduate RA?.

No, while at Akron U, he served as Residence Life Coordinator over 3 halls. Do you know how much responsibility such a position entails? Do you have any idea how many staff members and students he was responsible for?

This is a master's-educated, 28 year-old man.

Anonymous said...

Shaun was my Residence Life Coordinator while I was an Resident Assistant at The University of Akron. We (the students) always thought he was weird, but not the "creepy man" weird. It makes me sad that this was a man that I could trust and go to with my problems. He was a leader-now I am ashamed to have known him.

Eric Mansfield said...

Liz and others ..

I was an RA when I attended the University of Dayton and it was one of the best experiences of my time in college. Great opportunities for leadership and also as a role model for the students in our dorms.

Assuming the allegations are true, and sources tell me the evidence seized from his computer is damning to say the least, than Harkness is looking at hard time behind bars.

Still, it's the students whose lives he touched during his supervisory time who will forever be torched by this. It's enough to make you never want to trust a supervisor again.

Thanks for sharing ... keep em coming .. Eric

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Thanks you on your information.

Anonymous said...

I knew this guy at indiana state university. He was creepy then, but I never thought he would pull shit like this. I just figured he would be a virgin for life. Maybe that changed while he was in jail. I hope he gets what he deserves. He was responsible for the safety of many kids, and he did something unforgivable to those victims. I wonder where he is now. Hopefully, nowhere near college girls!

Anonymous said...

I found out he lives near chicago and is married. So apparently, he finally got laid. Makes you wonder though. Who would marry that creap? I also knew him at indiana state university. He was always odd. Hell.... i thought he was gay. From public records, it sounds like all he got was probation. Hope he doesn't get another job around people. i wouldn't even trust him flipping hamburgers.