Thursday, October 11, 2007

How is paying for news considered journalism?

I'm sick to my stomach tonight from what played out on my story today. Here's the Reader's Digest version:

I was called to WKYC's Cleveland office to be an extra field reporter in the school shooting coverage. I could still anchor the Akron-Canton News from the Clevleand newsroom, so it was a win-win situation.

Around noon, CNN showed amateur video taken from inside the school Wednesday that shows a class of students having their door locked and then panicking as the shooting unfolded. The video doesn't show the shooter, the victims, or capture any of the bullets being fired. Still, it's the best video out there at the moment.

I began trying to locate the 17-year-old kid who took the video to see if we could get a copy for our newscast. A short time later, our News Director saw the boy talking live on CNN right in front of WKYC so I ran outside and made contact with Tereena Marks, the mother of 17-year-old Warren Marks.

She told me that her son would grant us an interview but that we were fourth in line behind another CNN crew, Inside Edition, and ABC. No problem, I can wait.

Long story short, after dragging the interviews out for more than an hour, Warren told the local reporters that if they wanted a copy of his video, then he wanted to be paid .. and paid well. He told us that Inside Edition had paid up to $2,000 for the tape and that he would make us deals as well.

I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I couldn't believe that this kid was looking to capitalize on an act of violence that left his fellow classmates and teachers with bullets in their bodies.

I reminded Warren that he'd already shared the video with one Cleveland TV station for free, so why couldn't he share the video with the rest of us too? Warren told me that that was before he knew he could make money.

I called inside to my News Director and managers who said we were not paying for the tape under any circumstances. I was glad they were backing me up on this ethical decision.

I went back out to try and be reasonable with Warren but he wouldn't budge. At this point, a reporter from one of my competitors began to negotiate for the tape .. starting at $200 .. then $250 .. then $300. Appalled, I looked at both of them and said "I'm out of here."

On the way out I asked Warren's mother why they were resorting to charging local media for the tape .. especially when a syndicated show had already provided a windfall. She told me that this was Warren's "15 minutes" and that he "deserved to be paid."

What's ironic is that Tereena works a block from the school .. and as she rushed to the scene to make sure her son was OK, guess where she waited for news? The Channel 3 lobby. Nice to know that our goodwill in her time of need was so quickly forgotten when she and her son could hold up our station for $$.

For what it's worth (pun intended), our station has paid for breaking news video in the past .. such as tornadoes, fires, or plane crashes. All of those are unplanned events. But this was different. This wasn't an amateur photographer who was in the right place at the right time; this was a kid looking to cash in on his classmates' misfortune.

So instead of giving viewers a glimpse inside the school through the use of this teen's video, I instead shared the story of a teen survivor-turned-entrepreneur.

After the 7 p.m. broadcast, I learned that the NBC network agreed to buy a copy of the tape and was now providing copies to all of the NBC affiliates -- WKYC included -- for use as they see fit. (Note: Gannett Inc. owns WKYC and not NBC) We'll show parts of his video at 11 while explaining that we were given a copy by the network but did not pay for it.

Still, for the organizations that did pony up cash to a 17-year-old and who regularly pay for interviews and private video, I wonder how they sleep at night under the umbrella of journalism.

Somehow cash-for-content turns hard news into hardly news.

11 comments:

laurac19 said...

Shame on that boy, shame on that mother, and shame on those organizations. I am appalled that a parent would allow her child to profit off of a tragedy like this. Hopefully she and her son can handle the onslaught of criticism that is about to follow as well as they seem to handle the bidding wars and his so-called "15 minutes of fame". I hope it's worth it.

Anonymous said...

This seems typical to me. Almost everyone wants "money for nothing" these days and few think twice about it. Even if they do think, it is only to conclude that they deserve the cash.

If someone is willing to pay, then it is time to cash in. There is no longer a question of right and wrong. How can there be an ethical standard when the majority of people can't tell you what an ethic is?

It's a different world than we were used to. It is a sadder, more greedy world. People with ethics are now suckers because others are out making money on other people's tragedy.

Anonymous said...

You’re being too hard on Warren Marks. We live in an “every man for himself” capitalist society where you must get money or you just exist on the bottom of society. I don’t think what he’s asking is too outrageous. He just knows that he’s got to take care of himself since no one else is going to do it. As a middle-aged white guy from the suburbs, I say give the kid a break.

With everything that goes on in media these days, I’m a bit amused at your outrage at this violation of “pure” journalism. When was journalism pure, anyway? I would be more concerned that what gets reported is true or not, rather than if you paid the owner of the information for it.

Sounds like you’d never take a job with Fox News, since they seem to just repeat Republican Party talking points. My hope for you is that you may never lose your values, or be forced to compromise.

I read your blog every day. Please keep at it.

Obiwan

Eric R. Swanson said...

Did Warren Marks actually own the camcorder he used to shoot the video, or was it one owned by the school? If he didn't own the camcorder or buy the tape itself, then his sale of that tape is completely fraudulent.

Eric Mansfield said...

All ..
Thanks for your comments .. I'm told that WTAM took my story and blog posting and ranted and raved this morning for a while about this topic ..

You all make good points .. and Swanny, you should know that it was hiw own home video camera, which meant he was breaking school rules having it in class anyway.
I've received emails on this story from across the country today .. with some saying that Warren Marks deserves to "outted" for capitalizing on his school's tragedy ... while others are telling me to "get with the program Mansfield" and challenging that news organizations will make money on his story and video so why shouldn't he?

Again .. all good points to discuss .. and I wish I was teaching a journalism class today to throw out the ethical choice to my students and see what they would do in the same position.

But for me, call me old school .. if the subject's story is worth being told, it can be told on an even playing field .. and not because I put cash in his pocket.

As another reporter told me years ago, "what you call 'ethics' Mansfield, I call 'exclusive'"

Eric

Anonymous said...

Eric,
I'll vote for your ethics over an exclusive any day of the week. I'm tired of the "what's in it for me" attitude of this world. If it isn't for the good of the whole, then I don't care what's in it for you. Keep your morals and ethics--it's what stands you in good stead in this town.

Cin

Anonymous said...

Your station pays for video everyday. In this case the payment would go to a freelanceer instead of a staffer. If the footage has true news value the photographer should be compensated. The photographer doesn't owe anybody anything.

Eric Mansfield said...

If you consider that argument made above .. and I'll agree that it's one that does have merit .. than what's to keep a student at the next school shooting from reaching for a camera instead of helping his classmates get out of harm's way? one to keep a neighbor from grabbing their home video camera to videotape your house burning to the ground instead of calling 9-1-1 or coming to help you?

did anyone ask this kid why he didn't use his cell phone to call for help instead of putting his efforts into his shaky documentary? as the comotion was playing outside in the hallway, this teen had no way to know if police were on the way .. and his contact with 9-1-1 might have helped them pinpoint where the shooter was in the building .. instead, he hit "record" to get shots of his friends making jokes and now wants compensated for it ..

freelancers are people who carry cameras for the purpose of catching newsworthy events for later sales as an independent photographers. I'll even buy Uncle Bob's home vide of a fire or a flood in his street if he was capturing the footage after making sure everyone was ok first .

But when a teen whose only claim to fame is that he stayed low in a classroom while his classmates and teachers were shot, I find that hard to give in to his demands or thousands of dollars ... so you're right .. the photographer doesn't owe anyone anything .. but I think he has a lot of guts to demand big bucks for it too ..

Other journalists didn't have a problem .. but I did .. whose right I guess depends on your ethics ... but I blog about it to start discussion and I appreciate everyone giving it some honest thought.

keep em coming .. Eric

Jill said...

Eric, you did the absolute right thing. We wonder how the shooter became "the shooter" - but I wonder what Marks will become, being encouraged and supported for capitalizing on the incident, as he has. Where you drew the line was the proper place. And I'm sad to think that the child and the mother didn't want to just share it because it was the right thing to do. Personally, I would have turned it over to law enforcement people to use it and keep it as evidence for the entire situation, then let THEM decide who should get access and how.

Speaking of which - maybe you could write a post about what are the arrangements through which you would get security camera video etc. - do you usually pay for that? do you get it from law enforcement? This isn't an area I know anything about.

Also - kudos for others linking to and searching you out. Really - you are doing a fabulous job. Love the breaking news play by plays too.

Thank you. I know how exhausting it must be. God bless your family!!

Anonymous said...

http://blogs.clevescene.com/cnotes/2007/10/channel_3_eviscerates_greedy_k.php

Anonymous said...

3_eviscerates_greedy_k.php