Thursday, October 4, 2007

Finley still fighting .. and other odds and ends

I called Joe Finley yesterday to check his status now that the Board of Elections has certified Don Plusquellic as winning the Democratic Mayoral Primary. Finley said that as long as there are still protests pending before the Ohio Elections Commission and the Summit County Board of Elections, he's not conceding. He believes that conceding would send the "wrong message" about his beliefs. He also admits that there's no chance of changing the outcome in which he was defeated by about 1,000 votes, but he'll continue to contest the results until the other issues are settled.

I've received quite a few emails about my recent story on how the war overseas is creating a bullet shortage for police agencies across the country. Some folks say they're worried .. and others say they're not ... but one email really stands out:

Geraldine writes: "Dear Eric, We are worried about the shortage of bullets for our police force too, so we are going to visit Senator Voinovich this Sunday at his home on the east side of Cleveland and ask him if we could end the war in Iraq to help relieve the shortage. Thanks for your article."

Thanks for the email Geraldine. Good luck with twisting the Senator's arm .. let me know what he says.

Also got a few good responses to a story that made the rounds last night about how couples argue .. research finds that women who hold back their true feelings during arguments lives shorter lives ... so does that mean to just let it out and let the hubby have it?

I asked a few close friends for their thoughts ... and this is the one that stands out to me:

"I agree that holding in your emotions can effect your health. when (my husband) and I argue I don't voice everything, I just keep it to a minimum so that the argument is 'resolved' quicker. But when I get stressed over issues I start to feel run down, weak and fatigued. The minute my stress level goes up my energy and health goes down. I don't like to fight over little things. I'd rather agree and let him be right so that my energy can go into other things. I don't have time to be tired or get sick. It is actually one of the things about me that drives him nuts because he is always up for a good argument or debate and I am the one saying, 'Okay...that's fine, you're right.' "

Not sure what the right answer is to this story, but rest assured everyone has an opinion one way or another.

5 comments:

Ed Esposito said...

Hate to spoil the story...but more on the supposed "war-caused ammo shortage" from Al Tompkins at the Poynter Institute:

NPR reported yesterday that the popularly reported stories about a shortage in bullets used by police departments are partly wrong. Yes, there is a mild blip in deliveries to police departments, but NPR says the "shortage," such as it is, is not due to the Iraq war, as is often reported.

NPR says the real cause of the "shortage" is the rising price of copper. Ammo prices have spiked, so government agencies and civilians, fearing a price rise, have been buying larger than normal quantities of bullets. That, NPR says, is causing a temporary supply-and-demand issue. As Al's Morning Meeting readers pointed out a couple weeks ago, the military uses very few of the same bullets as civilians.

Prior story:

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=2&aid=128669

Interesting takes on the bullet shortage issue...what's the real deal?

Eric Mansfield said...

Ed,
Al's comments are good, as always.
But beyond the media "rush" to exploit the issue as a major shortage, the police departments are saying publicly that it's the war that's upped the wait.
In APD's case, they aren't over-ordering .. nor have they cut the budget .. they'll pay whatever it takes to get the ammo they need .. but the supply isn't keeping up with demand.
Maybe the "fear" of the war drain has gotten other departments to buy too much, too fast .. but our local story is valid in that APD is a) waiting longer for the ammo and b) being told by their suppliers that it's the extra ammo headed for the war that is causing the wait.
Additionally .. didn't our country change factories around to make bullets to support the war effort in WW2? Makes you wonder when the White House will actually call upon the country to sacrafice and come together to support the war effort.
keep em coming!

Anonymous said...

Eric, let's not let my husband know that it is me who emailed you this response! Though my response is true, it might frustrate him to read that I just say "yes dear" to stop the arguement! He would just want to have an arguement over it and I am too busy this weekend to feel tired!!

Eric Mansfield said...

Dear anonymous ... who are you again? :)

Anonymous said...

if the inmates do not like the food there, maybe this will give them a reason not to commit any more crimes